Utilizing Google+ Hangouts in Youth Ministry

in Resources on May 27, 2013

Stream Your Youth Group Over Hangout You may think of Google+ Hangout as just a video chat feature, but over 300 active million people have the ability through that social network to transmit video and audio as a streaming service to a huge audience. If you have thought about wanting to stream your youth group service, but do not like the cost of the streaming services ($50/month for Livestream or $100/month for UStream for the few parents, church staff, or others that may see it) you may want to consider doing Google+ Hangouts. While you are limited in total options for streaming, (i.e. smaller resolutions) it is a free service to hit a huge population of people, to test out if you do decide to move to more corporate solutions, or to simply stay cost effective with the Hangout option.

Small Group Hangouts

Whether you are a church that has families always moving, terrible winters, or simply want to try a different way of doing small groups, Google+ Hangouts offer a unique way of doing Bible studies or small groups to get people together. Numerous churches have begun to break down the barriers of distance or inconvenience for their Bible studies or small groups. Have a pastor or church leader lead a meeting/bible study, and broadcast it via Google+ Hangouts on Air and YouTube. If you like, you can have up to 10 people who can actually interact with the pastor during this broadcast, in addition to an unlimited number watching. Invite special speakers to do a quick 10-minute talk or a set of other youth workers or students from another ministry to speak into the lives of the students.

Invite Your Church’s Missionaries to Speak To Student Leaders

Do you have missionaries that your church supports in any manner of ways? Have you been looking for amazing leaders who have taken huge risks that may be a great role model for your student leaders to take the next step in their faith? These missionaries may be the greatest resource that you have at your disposal, as well as the opportunity for your students to be a HUGE blessing for the missionaries that are out in the field and looking for some relational and emotional support. Put together a Hangout with your youth group student leaders with your missionaries. How can you use Google+ Hangouts to better your youth group?
]]>

Keith Parker at 1:55 pm

Hey Jeremy, great post on a great resource. Google hangouts are pretty awesome, and have a lot of great applications. I’m hung up on the idea of using them somehow for small groups – I feel like that would almost be like “video” curriculum. Is that the concept you envision? Just curious about that side of things.

seventy8Productions at 1:30 pm

Not at all. With video chats, it MUST be interactive, otherwise you can just replace the hangout with a DVD.

Keith Parker at 1:55 pm

seventy8Productions at 1:30 pm

Keith Parker at 1:55 pm

seventy8Productions at 1:30 pm

HeatherLeaCampbell at 1:14 pm

These are some cool pointers, Jeremy! Actually, someone just messaged me the other day after a YouthMin Hangout and asked me a few questions. I’m going to refer him to this post! HUZZAH!

HeatherLeaCampbell at 1:14 pm

seventy8Productions at 1:30 pm

Boom!

HeatherLeaCampbell at 1:14 pm

seventy8Productions at 1:30 pm

Boom!

Brian at 2:42 am

Dude! I love this! Definitely going to try #1. Maybe gonna go for #2 to get some things done. And #3 would be an awesome way to get some people talking to our leadership teams if I can hook that up…
I Have also been considering hangouts for some roundtable discussions on current topics that we wouldn’t take the time to work into our series/teaching, but would be great opportunities to speak into students lives regarding the latest movies, books, issues, etc.
Super inspired right now! Thanks.

Brian at 2:42 am

Super inspired right now! Thanks.