What if Youth Ministry was different?

in Grow on March 4, 2013

What if… we stopped talking about what youth ministry does wrong and started looking at what we do wrong? Matthew 12:33-37 What if… we withheld judgement of this or that youth pastor’s motives and asked the Holy Spirit to reveal ours? Matthew 7:1-5, Romans 2:1-3 What if… we got off our soapbox and starting fixing the problem we moan about? James 3:10, James 4:1-7 What if… we stopped self-promoting and focused our energies on promoting Jesus? Proverbs 11:2, Proverbs 16:18 What if… our church never “gets it” but we chose to stay instead of leave? Proverbs 3:5, Ephesians 6:12 What if… we used our journal/prayer time/Bible reading to vent and rant instead of posting it to a blog or Facebook? 1 Peter 5:7, Proverbs 21:23, Ephesians 4:29 What if… we didn’t try to one up the “competition” but partnered with them for the greater good? Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12 What if… we judged others with the grace we give ourselves? Matthew 7:1-5 What if… we stopped building our personal platform and built the kingdom? Matthew 6:33   What do you think would happen? How can we make this happen? I want this to happen!

]]>

HeatherLeaCampbell at 10:49 pm

This is solid. Great stuff, Nick.

HeatherLeaCampbell at 10:49 pm

This is solid. Great stuff, Nick.

HeatherLeaCampbell at 11:49 pm

This is solid. Great stuff, Nick.

Allen Posey at 10:50 pm

We would have a generation of changed lives not only teens but of older generations as well.

Allen Posey at 11:50 pm

HeatherLeaCampbell at 10:57 pm

Oh, and you asked questions, too 🙂
I think if this happened, it would change youth ministry drastically. First-off, our pride would be erased. We’d be partnering with people not to rip off their ideas, but to pray with them. We’d be transparent with one another and share in burdens, but not burden each other with every “minor” problem we face. We’d spend less time complaining and more time DOING. Our students would see that we are authentic and genuine, and that we aren’t there to babysit them or step on them to get to another role. They would see we’re in it for the long haul, and that we won’t be driven away, whether the situation is dumb or whether it is major.
IN ORDER for it to happen? We need to meditate on these scriptures you shared. We need to drop the act that we have. We need to drop our ego. We need to reach out to others for community. We need God.
I want this to happen, too. I needed these verses to remind me of the own sin that I have, and I really appreciate this.

HeatherLeaCampbell at 11:57 pm

Oh, and you asked questions, too 🙂

Brian at 1:00 am

Well said… (asked?)
Was just talking about the personal promotion/platform issue the other day. I don’t get that one. Who are you trying to impress?
This type of thinking reminds me of questions we would ask in our 20-something men’s small group back in the day.
Let’s put Jesus first in EVERYTHING and see what happens.

Brian at 2:00 am

Well said… (asked?)
Let’s put Jesus first in EVERYTHING and see what happens.

kolby milton at 4:27 pm

Loved this post nick! This would be a game changer in youth ministry.

kolby milton at 5:27 pm

Loved this post nick! This would be a game changer in youth ministry.

Josh Robinson at 8:46 pm