What is the Gospel? Preaching in Youth Ministry

in General on August 15, 2012

Last year I did an activity with my youth where I asked each of them to write on an index card the Gospel. I simply said, “What would you say to a person if they asked you to explain to them the Gospel?” I didn’t really make any clarifications other than that.
Some of the youth smiled. Some awkwardly smiled. Others just had a confused look on their face.
I said, “I know for a fact I have shared the gospel with each and every one of you several times.”
So they began writing and one girl finished in 5 seconds. She handed me her card, I read it and smiled.
Others just sat there looking at a blank card holding a golf pencil trying to figure out what to write.
Slowly cards were being handed in and I began reading each one to myself. I am not going to lie, I was nervous!
This was just as much of a test for me as it was for them. I started thinking to myself, “Have I done a good job explaining the gospel?” “Did I forget to mention something?” “What have their parents taught them about the Gospel?” “How will this exercise reflect on me as their pastor and how will it reflect on their parents as the people that should be instilling truth into their children?”
So here are the cards. I will transcribe them word for word (errors and all) because some of them are hard to read. There was a few that just couldn’t scan so I didn’t post them. I will say this… for the most part, I think my youth get it. It is interesting to see what kids focused on the most and at what angle they discussed the Gospel. Praise God for Biblical parenting and Christ centered teaching!
I am tempted to do this again to see where the kids are a year later.
Where do you think your kids stand? Have you done something like this before? What were the results?
Youth Ministry teaching gospel
“Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

The Gospel is God plan of Salivation for sinners.
We are sinners, so God sent jesus, his perfect son, to die for our sins. Through Christ we can be reconciled to God. If we confess with our mouths & believe in our heart that Christ dies on the cross & rose again, we are saved.

First of all God is Holy and he can’t tolerate sin, he can’t see it, so we are sinful people and deserve to go to hell but God the Father loved us so much that he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. He not only died on the cross for our sins but ressurrected 3 days after that and how we have hope in Jesus Christ alone and we will not perish because we would live for him.

Jesus died and rose again to save sinners.

God created the world and humans to be good, but Adam & Eve sinned, causing a wedge between humans and God. Later on God sent His only son jesus to the earth as a sinless baby. He grew up and proclaimed the truth and eventually was crucified. God sent Him as a sacrifice for sin so that we could be restored to the Father. If we believe in Jesus based on grace through faith, we can have eternal life, worshipping God.

The Story of Jesus’ life, + God’s plan for us.

God created a perfect world and everything in it was good. The woman he created decided she would give into temptation and disobey God and shared with her husband, which led to the fall of man into an imperfect world of sin. Because of this curse, God’s anger and wrath was turned onto man and God needed to send His perfect Son to live a perfect life on earth and take the wrath of God onto Him in his death so our sins are atoned for. He did this so we could have a new life in Him and be free from our sins. He was raised on the third day and is now alive and we can find our hope in him!

Chase M. at 11:55 am

Wow, this is a great idea. My self esteem as a youth pastor got knocked down when you said “I know Ive shared the gospel with each of you personally” because thats not a true statement for me in my group.

Chase M. at 11:55 am

Ben Read at 11:56 am

Frank, this is such a quality post. We need more of the Gospel in Youth Ministry, we need to teach it more. Thanks for sharing this, man!

Ben Read at 11:56 am

Kyle Sullivan at 11:59 am

This is a great idea to do to assess where students are in their understanding of the Gospel. I have been serving at my church 6 months now so I think I will be doing this soon! Great idea to engage them while seeing where they are at!

Kyle Sullivan at 11:59 am

Derek Sullivan at 12:25 pm

I’m a bit humbled by these responses.

Derek Sullivan at 12:25 pm

I’m a bit humbled by these responses.

Nick Farr at 1:36 pm

Great post bro! I did this after a couple of years and asked “what are the essentials to the Gospel?” and got some crazy answers from my core group. After that we started to focus way more on the gospel and theology. Theology is key.

Nick Farr at 1:36 pm

Samantha at 2:05 pm

This is a great idea! Totally agree that I would be extremely nervous reading responses, what a way of knowing how good of a job you really are doing.

Samantha at 2:05 pm

Amy Francis at 2:31 pm

What an encouragement to know that your people have at least an intellectual grasp on something so foundational yet so easily missed.

Amy Francis at 2:31 pm

bs_pastor at 7:34 am

wow,! it really helped me a lot… I know now how to relate/ reflect a gospel to mysel
thank you!

bs_pastor at 8:34 am

thank you!

Jonathan Pearson at 9:20 pm

This is something that I am striving for my students to grasp and apply to their own lives, as well as share with others. Thanks for the post.

Jonathan Pearson at 10:20 pm