Setting Goals at Home

in Grow on June 12, 2012by Ben_Read

I’m not one who believes in new year’s resolutions. I’ve done them and failed (almost every time). However, after working for Team Expansion (a church planting organization), I found great value in setting goals. Dictionary.com states that a goal is: ”the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.” A resolution is an intention. I guess they can both be the same thing, but in my mind, effort is much greater than intention.
As student ministers, we are often required to set goals for our ministries. We have leaders, other ministers, and elders that expect us to follow through with our goals. I was listening to a sermon by Mark Driscoll the other day about being a true man in marriage and God spoke to me about my lack of goal planning at home. Fellow pastors and leaders…why do we neglect our planning at home? I challenge you to put as much effort in being the spiritual leader of your home as you do being a great pastor. I write these things, not to cast judgement on everyone, heck, I do it too! At some point though, we’ve got to step it up.
So, the other night, I had a conversation with my wife about setting goals. We’ve both been working on a couple things we’d like to see happen this year in our spiritual lives and married life.  We both came up with 5 reachable goals. It’s not to late to have that conversation with your wife. Go ahead…put down your screen and go have a conversation!
What are some goals you need for your family?

Categories: Grow

Brian W. at 7:16 pm

I think the obvious goals are with finances, everyone wants to have more in savings and afford stuff, etc. But I think the goals we set in our homes need to be more detailed, like save $100 a week towards.
Money shouldnt be the only goal. Where our kids go to school, how our kids date, those are two that come to my mind off the top of my head. Great post, Nick!

Nick Farr at 9:03 pm

Thanks!

Brian W. at 3:16 pm

Nick Farr at 5:03 pm

Thanks!

Joel Wallace at 7:18 pm

I’d be interested in what those 5 reachable goals you set were, if they werent too private. Mainly just the theme of them.
I’ve never really thought of setting goals for our family, I dont know why. Maybe it has something to do with what I think of when I think of Goals being more about Ministry, like “grow by 20% this year.” Thats probably not a great goal for a family, unless your still having kids.

Nick Farr at 9:02 pm

Haha. True Joel.
The goals that we set dealt with leadership.
Along the lines of:
Sing worship songs to my kids before they go to bed. Pray for them in detail as you put them to sleep.
Go to bed at the same time every night as my wife.
Talk about Jesus often with my family.
Stuff like that…

Ben Read at 10:26 pm

Ouch. Going to bed at the same time every night as my wife is a tough one. I want to do that, I need to do that, but I’m such a night owl. I get so much done late at night.

Zachary Johnson at 2:15 am

I was that way as well Ben, but I have learned to just cut the tv off as soon as my wife falls asleep. I find if I just can’t sleep, I like to pray. Keeps you focuses!

Joel Wallace at 3:18 pm

Nick Farr at 5:02 pm

Haha. True Joel.
The goals that we set dealt with leadership.
Along the lines of:
Go to bed at the same time every night as my wife.
Talk about Jesus often with my family.
Stuff like that…