Bad Youth Ministry habits that Youth Pastors need to kill

in General on May 1, 2012

Student Ministry habits we need to kill
I love Sunday , a new online magazine for church creatives from the creative genius of Jonathan Malm. If you don’t already, you need to subscribe to this free magazine, it will do nothing but good for you.
Today I stumbled over to the magazine via a post on the Facebook page of thecreativepastor.com and read an article entitled “Design Habits that need to die,” and if the article of this post seems like a rip off, its because it is. I simply wanted to point people over to this article, because its great. Because the three design Habits that the author,  Colin Harman, discusses could just as easily be talking about habits that Youth Pastors fall into that need to die.
Here is an excerpt from the article that so often describes the way Youth Pastors can operate when it comes to planning Youth Activities, brainstorming new ideas, etc.

It was a complete free for all. I did, because I could. But just because you can, doesn’t mean you should, and I quickly learned that with much power comes much responsibility. I can guess that a few times later I opened that same document and accidently opened the layer styles palate – turned loose on the text layer of my name like an unsupervised child with a box of crayons and a blank wall. I was a mess.

So can you see the Youth Pastor habits behind these design habits? What are your thoughts on them?

Categories: General

seventy8Productions at 5:02 pm

The gross games, the donuts in cars with students in the vehicle, and “being cool” by picking on other students all fall into this category.

Ben Read at 7:48 pm

Agreed, these three are all things that need to leave Youth Ministry. Do you subscribe to Sunday? I feel like you would enjoy it quite a bit

Christina at 2:29 am

i completely agree. probably because, well, i was one of the students that the ‘youth minister’ picked on.  he was other students friend way more than he was any sort of minister. i have been turned off from the church since then (and i’m 28 now, so it obviously affected me).

seventy8Productions at 1:02 pm

Ben Read at 3:48 pm

Christina at 10:29 pm

Victoria at 10:30 pm

One thing that drove me crazy was when they would put “rules” over safety when I was in youth group. We went on a ski trip and we weren’t allowed to have cell phones. If someone would have gotten hurt on the slopes, they could be stranded because even if you are with a buddy, you don’t always ski or board at the same pace down a mountain. Pretty reckless.

Victoria at 6:30 pm

Timothy Serrano at 11:57 pm

Thinking students will always come back because of how “cool” a youth pastor is.  HE not me

Timothy Serrano at 7:57 pm