What is the most important thing in Youth Ministry?

in General on April 23, 2012by Ben_Read

important youth ministry
I love connecting with other Youth Pastors because I love getting to glimpse into other Youth Ministries and see how they do things. But I’ve always been more of a Why guy, as in why do you do things the way you do them.
So I enjoy getting to know why some Youth Ministries are purely student run, and others are blended with adults. But the most interesting thing to me is to see the various things that Youth Pastors set out as the most important things in their Youth Ministries.
I’ve heard it said that if you put 10 people in a room, you’ll have 20 opinions. So I’m interested to see the varying responses to his simple questions:

What is the most important thing in Youth Ministry?

Is it Discipleship? Is it Worship? Is it relationships? What is it?

Categories: General

Austin Mccann at 7:26 pm

Discipleship through Biblical teaching and relationships.

Austin Mccann at 3:26 pm

Discipleship through Biblical teaching and relationships.

innercityyouthministry at 7:39 pm

Teaching by leaders and comprehension by students in this concept:  Trust in the Gospel, not on good morals.

innercityyouthministry at 3:39 pm

Brianskirk at 7:41 pm

I’d say relationship — specifically relationships centered in the love of God in Christ.  Out of that grows discipleship.

Brianskirk at 3:41 pm

Lucas Hillman at 7:48 pm

I would have to say Grace. Meaning learning how God’s Grace redeems every aspect of our lives, and how it should shape every relationship.

Lucas Hillman at 3:48 pm

andyblanks at 9:42 pm

More and more I am coming to believe it’s a focus on faith foundations (Alliteration anyone? Geez . . .) , but with an eye toward the present. When we talk about foundations, often we can inadvertently speak as if the “real Christ life” is something that happens in the future. I think we could think of youth ministry in terms of laying strong foundations in theology, in disciplines, in relationships, etc. . . but doing so in an environment that puts an emphasis on an active faith in the “now.”

andyblanks at 5:42 pm

Benmoushon at 11:17 pm

Relationship. They wont want to come to your youth activities or listen as you disciple or mentor without A relationship with your students.

Benmoushon at 7:17 pm

Ncbrodeur at 1:17 am

Relationships based in passionate and excited love for our triune God

Ncbrodeur at 9:17 pm

Relationships based in passionate and excited love for our triune God

Matt Ryba at 12:38 pm

I would say the most important thing would be building relationships so that you have a channel and an open ear to share the gospel. However, I put a high emphasis and make it a priority to make sure the gospel is preached each and every week in some way.

Matt Ryba at 8:38 am

Timothy Serrano at 5:09 pm

Wow awesome question, so simple but one that should always be in the forefront of everything we do!
For our group it’s growing deeper in our faith through bible study and strong, Christ-centered relationships

Timothy Serrano at 1:09 pm