The last few weeks, I’ve been narrowing down the notes I use for teaching on Sunday / Wednesday Nights.
At the beginning of the Year, I used my iPad that had the full transcript and would use a Teleprompter app to try and keep me moving. That was a complete disaster.
From there, I moved to still having the full transcript, but on printed paper, and a lot of bolded sentences and highlights here or there. It was ok, but it was still a mess, if I lost where I was on the sheet, I’d often miss out on important points, or repeat unnecessary ones.
The process kept getting a little more streamlined, and now has evolved into something that works great for me, but may not for you.
Essentially, I take one piece of paper, divide it into three sections, and fill in key points and verses there.
The first section, I put all the points that progress through the intro, and this includes either the recap of the last week or the last series, or direction of the series, then the direction for tonights talk, and opening transitional story to get the point in the students heads.
The second column is all about the meat of the message, the main points I have, the main scripture I have, whatever is the main takeaway for the night, this is what fills up this column.
Finally, the last column is my notes for the challenge and transition to break out groups. This is where the meat of the message gets driven home and the application comes out, as well as providing a challenge to respond to.
This may not be the best style of message delivery, but it sure works for me.